A-11 1940s WWII Pattern Military Watch With Shatter and Scratch Resistant Box Sapphire Crystal (Automatic)
SKU Code: A-11
This recreation is based closely on the original World War Two design from 1943 but has the advantage that it is now equipped with a high-performance self-winding 24 jewel mechanical movement and has also now been upgraded to a box sapphire crystal which is both shatter and scratch resistant although identical in appearance to the original plexiglass crystals which would have been used during the second world war. The watches at the time were made in a variety of slightly different styles by various manufacturers such as Elgin, Bulova, Waltham etc but were all based on an original US government specification laid down at the time. This watch is closest in appearance to the Elgin 539 which used a 15 or 16 jewel movement and were made for the USAAF between 1940 and 1945. The original watches were made from plated base metal (to save steel) but this modern recreation is solid stainless steel so it should stand the test of time significantly better than the originals.
This particular recreation came into being because in January 2009 we were approached by a US veterans association who asked us to examine the viability of making a watch which was identical in appearance to the original GG-W-113 watches which were during the Vietnam war. As a result of making that watch, we were contacted again with a view to recreating this even earlier WW2 model because these are now almost impossible to find in good sound condition because as outlined above most were made from 1943 onwards when resources were limited and hence cheap metal was used.
- Width Inc Crown: 38mm
- Width Exc Crown: 36mm
- Thickness: 12.9mm
- Lug Size: 18mm
- Lug to lug is 43mm
- Lug Type: Spring
- Dial Colour: Black
- Case Material: 316L stainless steel
- Caseback: Screw-down 316L stainless steel
- Crown: 316L stainless steel
- Water Resistance: 5 atm (50m/165ft)*
- Movement: 24 Jewel Automatic
- Crystal: Shatter and Scratch Resistant Box Sapphire*
- Luminous Material: Luminova
- Serial number on caseback
- Strap: 18mm
- Supplied in a gift box
- 24 Months Guarantee
* A lot of people ask us what are the benefits of sapphire crystal over a standard mineral crystal? The answer is that synthetic sapphire is by far the best material for watch crystals because it is very strong and also shatter and scratch-resistant, these characteristics make it very appealing to military and security personnel, police officers and people who lead active outdoor lifestyles, these groups account for over 70% of our customers. To get things into perspective we find that when clients have accidents with watches resulting in a cracked crystal over 90% usually watches with mineral glass crystals, even factoring in that we use hardened mineral crystals they still do not come close to sapphire for durability under adverse conditions. The reason that sapphire crystals are so strong is that after the sapphire glass is manufactured it is also heat-treated to remove its internal stresses—which can cause weakness—it is then made into the watch crystals and two layers of anti-reflective coating are applied, interestingly sapphire crystal is now used on the latest iPhone. Of course, sapphire crystal comes at a price hence you find that it's normally only fitted to higher-end watches.